The Golden Strand sits in the heart of the OBX and its many attractions!
While the beautiful beachfront access offered by the Golden Strand condominiums is enough to build a vacation around, the Outer Banks offers a bounty of adventures for every age and interest!
Special 2020 Events
The following are some of the many special events that are scheduled during the 2020 season. If you need a place to stay, contact us for availability!
Notice: These were the events scheduled for 2020, but due to the Coronavirus pandemic, it is not clear which of these will take place. We suggest you check with the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce or the specific event organizer for more information.
- St. Patrick’s Day 1 Mile Beer Run (March 14)
- Outer Banks Taste of the Beach Weekend (March 26 – 29)
- Fly Into Spring &Easter Eggstravaganza (April 10-11)
- WOOFstock 2020 (April 18)
- First Flight 5K and Flying Pirate Half Marathon (April 18-19)
- Outer Banks Bike Week (April 18-26)
- Duck and Wine Festival (April 27)
- OBX Rod & Custom Festival (May 1-2)
- ESA Mid Atlantic Regional Championship (May 1-3)
- 37th Annual Nags Head Woods 5K (May 9)
- Outer Banks Blue Grass Island Festival (May 13-16)
- 48th Annual Hang Gliding Spectacular (May 14-18)
- Sunrise 5K & Little Kids Crab Crawl (June 11)
- Rogallo Kite Festival (June 19-21)
- Outer Banks Kite Festival (Sep 12-13)
- Kitty Hawk Surf Co. Kayak Fishing Tournament (Sep 19-20)
- ESA Easterns Surfing Championships (Sep 20-26)
- Outer Banks Jeep Jam (Sep 25-26)
- The Lost Colony Wine & Culinary Festival (Sep 26)
- Duck Jazz Festival (Oct 10-11)
- Outer Banks Seafood Festival (Oct 17)
- Outer Banks Brewtag (Oct 24)
- Wings Over Water Wildlife Festival (Oct 20-25)
- Bob Bernard Open Individual Tournament (Nov 3)
- TowneBank Outer Banks Marathon & Marathon Relay, Half Marathon 6 mile | 8k | 5k (Nov 8)
- 117th Anniversary of Powered Flight/Wright Brothers’ First Flight (December 16-17)
Outer Banks Outdoors
The fishing on the Outer Banks is some of the best in the world. You can just walk to the beach and throw in your line for fantastic surf fishing, or take a charter boat to the Gulf Stream to catch a huge blue marlin.
Besides the fishing and the view, the Atlantic Ocean offers many recreational activities just outside of your door. From surfing, kayaking, body boarding, and kiteboarding to bird watching, sea glass hunting, and sand castle building, the Outer Banks coastline offers unmatched recreation and relaxation.
The Pamlico Sound makes water sports such as windsurfing, kiteboarding, kayaking, sailing, and jet-skiing easily accessible. The sound accesses along the Outer Banks also offer world class bird watching opportunities.
Outer Banks Attractions & Points of InterestPea Island Wildlife Refuge & Cape Hatteras National Seashore
A refuge for snow geese and other migratory birds. Observation platforms and nature trails make viewing easy and rewarding.
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
With its distinctive black and white stripes, this famous lighthouse guards the vessels passing the treacherous Diamond Shoals, commonly known as the “Graveyard of the Atlantic”. It is the tallest lighthouse in the U.S.
The Lost Colony
This outdoor drama is the nation’s original historical outdoor drama. It is portrayed symphonically using song, dance, and spoken word dramatizing the events of the first English attempts to settle the New World.
Wright Brothers National Memorial
Site where Orville and Wilbur Wright made the world’s first powered aircraft flight in 1903. The memorial includes a visitors center and museum.
Additional Golden Strand Recommendations:
- NC Aquarium
- Nags Head Woods Conservancy
- Golf (Numerous championship courses are available in the area)
- Jockey’s Ridge State Park
- Kitty Hawk Fishing Pier
- Avalon Fishing Pier
- Nags Head Fishing Pier
- Jeanette’s Fishing Pier
- Outer Banks Fishing Pier
- Mini Golf
- Lazer Tag
- OB Fitness Center