The Golden Strand sits in the heart of the OBX and its many attractions!
While the beautiful beachfront access offered by the Golden Strand condominiums is enough to build a vacation around, the Outer Banks offers a bounty of adventures for every age and interest!
Special 2017 Events
The following are some of the many special events that are scheduled during the 2017 season. If you need a place to stay, contact us for availability!
- First Flight Cruisers Shamrock Car Show & Poker Run (March 9 – 12)
- St. Paddy’s 1 Mile Beer Run (March 18)
- Outer Banks Taste of the Beach Weekend (March 23 – 26)
- Easter Eggstravaganza (April 1)
- WOOFstock 2017 (April 8)
- First Flight 5K and Flying Pirate Half Marathon (April 22-23)
- Outer Banks Bike Week (April 22 – 30)
- Duck and Wine Festival (April 29)
- 34th Annual Yuengling Nags Head Woods 5K (May 13)
- 45th Annual Hang Gliding Spectacular (May 19 – 22)
- Coastal Gardening Festival (May 20)
- Wind Voyager Triple-S Invitational (June 03 – 09)
- Rogallo Kite Festival (June 10 – 11)
- Storm the Beach – Obstacle Race (Jun 11)
- Sunrise 5K & Little Crab Crawl (June 15)
- Kitty Hawk Surf Co. Kayak Fishing Tournament (Sep 16)
- ESA Easterns Surfing Championships (Sep 17 – 23)
- The Lost Colony Wine Festival (Sep 29 – 30)
- Outer Banks Bluegrass Festival (Oct 4 – 7)
- Duck Jazz Festival (Oct 7 – 8)
- Outer Banks Seafood Festival (Oct 21)
- Outer Banks Brewtag (Oct 28)
- Wings Over Water Wildlife Festival (Oct 18 – Dec 10)
- 60th Annual Invitation Surf Fishing Tournament & Bob Bernard Open Individual Tournament (Nov 1 – 4)
- TowneBank Outer Banks Marathon and Southern Fried Half Marathon 8k | 5k | Fun Run | Southern 6 (Nov 10 – 12)
- 114th Annual Celebration of The Wright Brothers’ First Flight (December 17)
Outer Banks Outdoors
The fishing on the Outer Banks is some of the best in the world. You can just walk to the beach and throw in your line for fantastic surf fishing, or take a charter boat to the Gulf Stream to catch a huge blue marlin.
Besides the fishing and the view, the Atlantic Ocean offers many recreational activities just outside of your door. From surfing, kayaking, body boarding, and kiteboarding to bird watching, sea glass hunting, and sand castle building, the Outer Banks coastline offers unmatched recreation and relaxation.
The Pamlico Sound makes water sports such as windsurfing, kiteboarding, kayaking, sailing, and jet-skiing easily accessible. The sound accesses along the Outer Banks also offer world class bird watching opportunities.
Outer Banks Attractions & Points of InterestPea Island Wildlife Refuge & Cape Hatteras National Seashore
A refuge for snow geese and other migratory birds. Observation platforms and nature trails make viewing easy and rewarding.
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
With its distinctive black and white stripes, this famous lighthouse guards the vessels passing the treacherous Diamond Shoals, commonly known as the “Graveyard of the Atlantic”. It is the tallest lighthouse in the U.S.
The Lost Colony
This outdoor drama is the nation’s original historical outdoor drama. It is portrayed symphonically using song, dance, and spoken word dramatizing the events of the first English attempts to settle the New World.
Wright Brothers National Memorial
Site where Orville and Wilbur Wright made the world’s first powered aircraft flight in 1903. The memorial includes a visitors center and museum.
Additional Golden Strand Recommendations:
- NC Aquarium
- Nags Head Woods Conservancy
- Golf (Numerous championship courses are available in the area)
- Jockey’s Ridge State Park
- Kitty Hawk Fishing Pier
- Avalon Fishing Pier
- Nags Head Fishing Pier
- Jeanette’s Fishing Pier
- Outer Banks Fishing Pier
- Mini Golf
- Lazer Tag
- OB Fitness Center